Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Is your Body Art Keeping you Unemployed ?

On CanadianNanny.ca we had a parent who was asking about tattoos. She had an interest in a nanny and she had found the nanny to be a warm, fun and overall wonderful person. But she was concerned because the nanny has tattoos on her arms and the back of her neck. She was worried about the impression it would leave on the children. She was considering not hiring the nanny based on the tattoo issue, and wanted to know my thoughts.

Overall, I feel that this generation may regret the trend of the tatoo, but tattoos are no longer an unusual thing. They are not just common for both males and females, but in most cases are perceived to be very acceptable. I believe that if you are going to judge someone on their tattoo, you should look at the actual tattoos that they have. I would not hire a caregiver or a staff member that placed an offensive tattoo on their body, simply because I would feel that person may lack judgement. But if they have chosen to place things permanently on their body, who am I to judge ?

What do you think ? Should an Employer judge a nanny on her tattoos ? We would love to hear your opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Our nanny had quite a large and visible tattoo at the bottom of her back, just above her jeans. It was a very intricate design, and there were names and a date in it. I asked her about the tattoo and what followed was a personal conversation about her twin brother's untimely death a few years prior and how close her relationship was with him. She wanted to commemorate her brother this way. Sometimes asking about the *meaning* of the tattoo can bring you more insight into the person you're thinking about hiring. Most of the time a tattoo has quite a deep meaning for the wearer. Give it a go - ask about the tattoo and whether there's a symbolism for it. Allow your (prospective) nanny to show more of herself than (s)he would normally be able to do during an interview.

    Posted by Marcha@ 12:41:30 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year ago I got a tattoo of cherry blossoms on my shoulder. Prior to making the decision to get the tattoo I discussed it with the family whose son I care for a few mornings a week. I did so because I wanted them to know I valued their opinion of me and as I was working with their child I wanted to know their feelings on tattoos, especially one that would be so visible. The family was supportive of my decision, in fact I discovered the mother herself had a small tattoo from years ago, so I went ahead with the art. I have also been open about my tattoo with all families I sit for occasionally as well as new families I meet and I have had nothing but positive responses. I am not implying that all sitters should get their employers approval prior to getting a tattoo, it is the individuals choice. However, it is important to remember that the impression you make with families can affect their perception of you as an individual and as a possible caregiver for their child. Though I do not believe in judging a persons character by their choice to get a tattoo, piercing etc, it is the parent's prerogative to decide what is and is not appropriate for their child to be around. Being open about my tattoo has been the best policy for me. I love my job and I am good at what I do. My tattoo does not affect my ability to provide loving and attentive childcare though I am aware that in my future I may lose opportunities for employment based on my choice to get a tattoo. I do not find this discouraging rather it motivates me to shine at interviews so those who are uncomfortable with my tattoo may be able to see past it to my lively personality and what I could bring to their lives.

    Posted by Hannah@ 5:55:53 PM

    ReplyDelete